[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jul 5 15:12:54 PDT 2000

> No, Monty, the "launcher" and the "slightly added efforts" for search
> engines are clumsy workarounds for a problem

If the launcher is totally transparent, the average user won't even notice
there's an issue (the whole point) where the power user now has flexibility
they didn't have before.  You can use Sonique *or* Quicktime *or* Winamp *or*
OfficialOgg!  How is this clumsy?

> that is there if you use
> OGG for both audio and video files. It's your decision (and I know
> you want to keep OGG because you wrote it everywhere), but I predict
> that it will eventually backfire. And it's not only a Windows-issue.

I'm interested in hearing where else this would be an issue....

My argument is that if one opens the extention can of worms, you both start
colliding with other things (who was it that suggested .vbs for Vorbis only
files?) but also the problem that Ogg will not exist in a struct audio-only
video/audio split.  The stream type is much richer than that.  Will things be
'Vorbis' and 'everything else'?  What will audio with still frames use for an
extention?  How is that different from low frame-rate video? What about with a
single frame of cover art?  Surround audio?

Monty