[vorbis] Using vorbisfile with an in-memory file instead of FILE*

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Dec 29 21:32:13 PST 2000

>> >Callbacks are done, see code. I was indeed testing and was wondering why
>it
>> >didn't work.
>>
>> Should work. I don't have a satisfactory explanation for why it doesn't.
>If
>> you could provide a (minimal) example where it fails (the whole thing,
>> rather than just bits of it), I'll try and track it down.
>
>Ok, the above code should be the whole example that doesn't use my own
>functions.
>It hangs on ov_open.

Thanks. You're right, it doesn't work. I don't actually have time to track
down the problem exactly until I get back from a short trip, but I'll try
and fix it early next week. Looks (from a very quick check - could be
wrong) like it's stuck in a loop going between _get_next_page and
_get_prev_page, in the internals of vorbisfile.

This doesn't change the fact that this isn't how vorbisfile is meant to be
used, and doing it this way isn't terribly sensible. Also, since you
presumably aren't interested in seeking, you could just use libvorbis
directly - quite straightforward for straight-through decode from memory
buffers. Probably still slightly easier to write callbacks to return data
from your memory buffers.

Michael