[vorbis] ao_arts

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at arnoldnet.net
Wed Dec 27 20:54:16 PST 2000

According to rik at kde.org (sometime around Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 03:50:11AM +0000):
> #if Kenneth C. Arnold
> > > +SUBDIRS = oss esd alsa arts # solaris irix
> >
> > To everybody else also:
> >
> > I DON'T LIKE THAT. Evil. SUBDIRS should be only what you can build on
> > your system, as autodetected [...]
>
> I agree. It seems the current approach is to create makefiles in the
> subdirs but do the disabling within those makefiles. I presume you're
> thinking of having SUBDIRS = $(OSS_SUBDIR) $(ESD_SUBDIR) etc. Much
> more sensible IMO.

I was thinking SUBDIRS = $(SUBDIRS), but it'd get the same result.

> > >   if (NULL == state)
> >
> > You have weird coding conventions. On the other hand, I know why you
> > do this. gcc gives a warning in either case.
>
> Yes. For anyone who doesn't know why I write comparisons backwards,
> it's to avoid doing 'if (state = NULL)' instead of 'if (state == NULL)'.
> It only looks odd for the first 3 months that you do it ;)

As I said, gcc gives a warning in either case if you have a single '='
in an if.

> > >   errorcode = arts_init();
> > >
> > >   if (0 != errorcode)
> >
> > ditto. My personal preference is to put that all on one line, e.g.
> > if (0 != (errorcode = arts_init()))
>
> I would... but my eyes are poor and putting many operations together
> on a line confuses them. Unless I'm going for ultra-efficiency, I space
> everything out as much as possible.

I'm 15, so it doesn't matter to me. Shuffling that many things on one
line is no problem. Just wait till you try to do complex algorithms in
Scheme ... not only will you have lots of operations on one line,
there will be more parentheses too :)

> > >   state->stream = arts_play_stream(rate, bits, channels, "ao stream");
> >
> > So aRts has a stream name capability? Perhaps libao could use a stream
> > name parameter; could be useful.
>
> I didn't know quite what to do with this, as many apps using libao could
> have a stream called "ao stream". I suppose the idea is you can generate
> an unique key, but we have the returned void * anyway. It's useful for
> easier IPC or something, I guess.

The intent was that if you listed the active aRts streams, you could
tell which is which (at least "ogg123 playing file.ogg").

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>