[vorbis] [a bit off-topic] oggenc crashes my K6-200 box

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Tue Dec 19 13:42:16 PST 2000

Michael Smith wrote:

> At 02:09 PM 12/19/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >I've noticed that oggenc reliably crashes my K6-200 box after a few
> minutes of
> >encoding.  Has anyone else experienced crashes like this?
> >
> >Surely it must be a hardward fault, or perhaps a K6 problem (this processor
> >has some errata).  Still, I'm surprised that nothing else I do with it seems
> >to hang it.
> >
> >Has anyone else seen anything like this?
>
> I haven't heard any other reports of this sort of thing. Vorbis stresses
> the hardware (especially the FPU) very hard - probably more so than almost
> anything else. I suspect a hardware fault is likely. If you can have
> appropriate tools (debugger), and can find where exactly it's crashing,
> please do so.

He said his computer crashes, and I don't think he has a hardware
debugger, so it may be a bit difficult to debug.

Oh, and Vorbis encoder doesn't really stress the processor that hard,
but it _does_ stress more parts of the processor at once than the
average high-performance software. (For example, on my K7, more than
half of the processor cycles are spent on waiting, while encoding
with Vorbis).

Nou doei,

Segher