[vorbis] Record companies drive me nuts (was: new MS codecs)

Angus Griffin angus at theBASS.net
Mon Dec 18 16:08:43 PST 2000

I agree with Freya (quoted below) very strongly. Not to restate what's
already been said, but record companies claim "we lose $XX million in sales
each year because of people pirating our music using mp3s". In reality, one
of the following cases hold true in most situations.

1.
People wouldn't buy the music they are pirating, even if they couldn't
pirate it. It's either too expensive or not accessible to them (or just too
difficult to get hold of...). (Living in Australia, I know this feeling. Has
anyone tried to get hold of the film Pi on DVD?... only in the US. and they
wonder why we pirate their software).

2.
The pirating acts as a catalyst to a purchace, because people stumble upon
music they didn't know they liked, or are 'evaluating' the music

There are certain individuals who pirate music just to spite large labels...
or just because they are cheapasses, but I feel this is rare. I have a
reasonable sized CD collection, a lot of which is rare stuff which was
difficult to get hold of. Online distribution would give me access to a much
wider range of tracks/artists/albums, leading to more sales. Record
companies frustrate the hell out of me, they shoot themselves in the foot
waaay too often.

Regards,
Angus