[vorbis] Re: Copy protected CDs (off-topic)

Angus Griffin angus at theBASS.net
Mon Dec 18 16:14:01 PST 2000

> ---quote---
>
> Jacobs further commented that, "These technologies will allow
> media companies to distribute their content on disk or over the
> Internet without fear of piracy. A shrink wrapped CD or DVD
> purchased off-the-shelf which was manufactured using this
> technology cannot be 'burned' onto another disk or copied to
> other storage media. Internet content down-loaded to a computer
> disk, once burned to a CD cannot be re-copied to another disk or
> other storage media."
>
> --end quote---

Sounds like they may be deliberately introducing errors (with proprietry cd
writing software?), like those used on securom/laserloc etc. Anyone having
used clonecd to back up their precious, legal game CDs will know how easy
this system is to foil.

They'll never learn, will they? I bawk at the stupidity of large companies
in a lot of situations, but this one is just insane.

Regards,
Angus