[vorbis] encoding speed (was: new MS codecs)

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Mon Dec 18 13:26:05 PST 2000

Smörk wrote:

> >Oh, and Ogg Vorbis will be 3-5x realtime soon (within a few months).
>
> on which machine. encoding speed is very import, because of live

On anything recent (last few years). Due to the amount of data Vorbis
is shuffling around, memory speed is as important to Vorbis encoding
speed, as processor speed is. So anything recent will fit into 3-5x.

> streaming different bitrates and sources. I'm not sure if encoding of
> different bitrates is needed or if it's possible to get lower bitrates
> from the highest bitrate.

Truncating the packets is the way to scale bitrate, I believe. This is
documented somewhere (maybe look in the mailinglist archives).

Ciao,

Segher.