[vorbis] new MS codecs

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 15 21:31:42 PST 2000

Segher wrote:

> I don't think wavelets will reduce filesize by much (on most music);
> sharp attacks will be more efficiently encoded, but that's all.

        My interest in wavelets *isn't* compression related but quality
related.  :)  They should improve the sound of a lot of the rapid
high-frequency sounds coming from percussion and string instruments even
on a fairly low bitrate file, yes?  I've been under the impression that
this was the big motivation for including the use of wavelets in formats
like vorbis and others.