[vorbis] MOre streaming media to ponder

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Fri Dec 15 08:50:32 PST 2000

"Darren Meyer" <linux at radiantmatrix.org> wrote:

> Vorbis has a lot more potential use than just streaming.  Even -if- this
> standards organization creates widely-accepted streaming media standards
> that exclude Vorbis, there are plenty of other reasons to continue Vorbis

Maybe this organization could adopt Vorbis as this new standard?
That would be great, but I don't think that is possible, because I'm
sure that this organizations will surely want some kind of copy
protection system (ultimately they could use Vorbis and add a
protection scheme). Also, this codec will not be free...
Somehow, at this point, the idea of this organization seems a
bit vague... their site (http://www.ism-alliance.org) doesn't have
much information (yet, I hope).

> That aside, I think it would be interesting for Xiph to look into becoming
> a member/being an advisor to this new group.  Having input to standards
> based on experience with Vorbis would benefit everyone.

I agree.

Greetings,
Aleksandar