[vorbis] Fruanhofer patents and royalties for Streaming

Daniel Richards kyhwana at world-net.co.nz
Sun Dec 10 01:32:13 PST 2000

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Do it yourself. Please. Or try to sound a bit nicer. You are being rude.
> We all do the work for free, giving considerable amounts of time and effort
> to the project. You only want to have free stuff. If you want good, streaming
> audio, and (as you say so yourself) mp3 is the only thing that delivers it,
> just pay them. That's how the world works; you don't like it, just
> change it.
> (Or at least try to). Btw, your talking to the wrong people here; Vorbis _is_
> already streaming, maybe your favourite tool doesn't support it yet, but you
> should speak to the makers of that tool to get it supported, not to us.

Gah, im sorry I did sound rather rude :P
I apologise, I was off in one of my "Software patents are evil" rants
again :P

I don't stream myself, but I know a bunch of people who do. But frankly
I doubt Fruanhofer would ever catch them.
(Do Fruanhofer have patents in Canada?)

I guess I was talking about the Winamp/XMMS plugins.

 > Sorry if I sound harsh,
 >
 > Segher
Yeah, but I deserved that I guess.