[vorbis] unimplemented features

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Fri Dec 8 13:49:43 PST 2000

"Arne Hueggenberg" <zalaster at nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

> i noticed monty mentioning in another thread that there were a few
> features
> left to implement for beta4.
> Does that mean that when beta4 comes out i have to reencode all my oggs to
> make sure i get the full possible quality out of them?
> If that were so i better wait with encoding my more obscure cds (e.g.
> those i
> listen to only rarely) until an feature complete encoder is available.

If you define full possible quality as "as far as encoder gets in quality
terms" then (since psychoacoustic tunning will never stop) you will have
to reencode every time a new version of ogg vorbis comes... but you
shouldn't look at things like that. If the current quality satisfy your
needs, then use it. But if you want my advice you should wait for the final
1.0 version to come out before using ogg vorbis (or at least beta4).
Of course, 1.0 version won't be the last (there are some egzotic features
to be implemented after 1.0, like wavelets), but it should be good
enough... -b192,256,350 sound very good on most tracks but there are
still some bugs with some test tracks, that should be fixed with b4/1.0
version...

Greetings,
Aleksandar