[vorbis] Audio Quality Feedback (probably a bug?)

Sagie Duchovne-Nave sagsagman at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 08:36:37 PST 2000

Hi,

        I hope this is the right address for this e-mail... I've been experimenting with OggEnc v0.5 (beta3), and I've experienced a wierd artifact with a certain song ("Theme From Mission Impossible" by Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton). It's pretty subtle, but it's audible.

        I've ripped the wave from the original CD, and encoded it at average bitrate 350kbps. I've noticed that at the start of the song (about 10 seconds from the beginning), one of the Bongo hits sounds a bit strange, more spatial than it should be. It's like the original Bongo is in the center, and there are two "echoes" to the bongo in the left and the right channels. But it's not really echoes because they occur at the same time of the original voice, not after it.

        I've played the encoded version and the original again and again, and I'm very confident that this is a flaw in the Ogg encoding (or perhaps decoding?) process. The encoding was performed with OggEnc v0.5, decoding and play back with WinAmp and OggVorbis Input Plugin v0.1.

        I can provide with relevant WAV chunks, if needed.

                    Regards,
                    Sagie.