[vorbis] Re: Copy protected CDs (off-topic)

David Mitchell mitchell at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 18 10:35:18 PST 2000

Chris Wing wrote:

> This is moronic. Among other things, everyone who went out and bought USB
> speakers for their computer will be unable to play these-- USB speaker
> software as delivered on Windows, for instance, requires digital audio
> extraction because the speakers are basically D/A converters with a USB
> interface.

Ironically, my Sony CD player is pre-1995. So, I may be forced to
rip these CD's to Vorbis files to listen to them.

Most likely, I will never encounter a CD with this "technology".
Doing a Google search turns up but a few press releases having
more to do with "SunnComm" buying "Desert Winds" than any
specific technolgy. One press release does state the the
technology works on CDs DVDs and downloads. This from a
BusinessWire article that was found on a Portugese DVD site: I
tried to find the original on businesswire.com, but failed.

---quote---

Jacobs further commented that, "These technologies will allow
media companies to distribute their content on disk or over the
Internet without fear of piracy. A shrink wrapped CD or DVD
purchased off-the-shelf which was manufactured using this
technology cannot be 'burned' onto another disk or copied to
other storage media. Internet content down-loaded to a computer
disk, once burned to a CD cannot be re-copied to another disk or
other storage media."

--end quote---

Whatever. I'll believe this when I see it. It is quite possible
that Fahrenheit Records will boost their sales as lots of people
buy the CD's to take up the challenge, and then deal with record
numbers of returns when everyone takes them back as defective.

-David Mitchell