[vorbis] MOre streaming media to ponder

Darren Meyer linux at radiantmatrix.org
Mon Dec 18 06:16:37 PST 2000

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 03:43:46AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > That aside, I think it would be interesting for Xiph to look into becoming a
> > member/being an advisor to this new group.  Having input to standards based
> > on experience with Vorbis would benefit everyone.
>
> I _think_, looking at the members, that this group is more interested
> in the psysical media streaming itself, than in the prticular encoder
> used. I may be wrong. Who is kasenna, btw.?
>
> > All in all, any open standards group is a good thing.
>
> Not to be cynical, but MPEG is an "open standard" as well.

True, true... but having MPEG as an open standard _has_ been a good thing.
I wonder -- if MPEG had =never= existed, would Vorbis have been envisioned?
Also, knowing how MPEG works (without reverse engineering) does help expose
errors that can be fixed by other encoders.

So, MPEG hasn't worked out ideally, but I still hold that any kind of open
standard is better than a closed one.  Thus, open standards groups are
generally good things.

Let's just hope they don't get a patent and use it to go after
"non-conforming" codecs (*cough* Frauenhofer *cough*). :)

Cheers,
Darren