[vorbis] Copy protected CDs (off-topic)

Segher Boessenkool segher at wanadoo.nl
Sun Dec 17 17:52:42 PST 2000

Ross Levis wrote:

> A record company is releasing next month what it calls copy-protected CDs
> which apparently cannot be ripped by CD readers.  Major labels are waiting
> to see how it goes.
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4099854.html

Oh, that's nice. This means we won't be able to play these cd's on
some cd-players (the ones who actually rip the cd's at high speed,
to have better error correction and/or pitch control). And we _can_
always rip it, just use raw mode block reading on the cdrom player
i.s.o. cdda mode.

Oh, and there's only three things they can do (as far as I can
think of):

1) Do something weird to the cd headers (TOC etc.) => this will
   effect normal cd players
2) Put errors on the cd on purpose => this will make the cd much
   earlier to get unuseful because of scratches/dirt etc.
3) Use some different kind of plastic for the cd, a kind which
   will not be easy to the cdrom laser, but still is ok to a cd
   laser (cdrom lasers are a different color).

Dagdag,

Segher