[vorbis] Re: OT: Downloading .DLLs (WinAmp Plugin with HTTP Streaming Support)

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at arnoldnet.net
Sat Dec 16 09:50:25 PST 2000

According to Aleksandar Dovnikovic (sometime around Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:16:05PM +0100):
> "Moritz Grimm" <maxx at kolabore.de> wrote:
>
> > Since you're using Windows, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to
> > install one of these handy download managers, which download all their
> > files in binary mode by default. Personally, I prefer Getright from
> > www.getright.com - it's free (as long as you don't mind the ads that are
> > shown in the managers main window) and fully working. Just add the file
> > extension ".dll" to the file types Getright should monitor, restart your
> > browsers and you're all set.
>
> If someone needs, I have a key-generator for GetRight so that you can
> get rid of those silly ads...

Sufficiently off-topic to mention this:

www.grc.com

GetRight installs a adware DLL that runs in the background and
retrieves ads. Obviously, anything closed-source running in the
background transmitting and receiving data is highly questionable. But
even worse, the adware stays even after GetRight is uninstalled. Steve
Gibson put out a tool to scan for and remove this adware (would make
GetRight, an otherwise decent downloader, especially for faster
connections, not work anymore). Learning about this security hole
disguised as an advertising downloader was one of my big stepping
stones to using Linux exclusively.

So: don't install GetRight. It's one big closed-source security hole.

As for Netscape, if you're using anything less than 6.0, you need to
upgrade. If you're willing to check out something else, download
Mozilla (www.mozilla.org) (which is Netscape 6.0 minus AOL branding
plus a bunch of bugfixes).

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>