pho: [Fwd: [vorbis] new MS codecs]

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Dec 14 13:26:55 PST 2000

> From: "JD Conley" <jdc at malibuboats.com>
> To: "'vorbis at xiph.org'" <vorbis at xiph.org>
> Subject: RE: [vorbis] new MS codecs
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:49:58 -0800
>
> Oh yeah, they have some samples on their site.  Interestingly enough, they
> don't compare any of their sounds to MP3 or OGG, only Real, which we all
> know is inferior in quality...  Although the original WAV does give you a
> good idea as to the degredation in quality.
>
> Check it out (the url is probably wrapped):
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/compare/quality.asp

For those of us without a windows machine, could someone hand me a
.wav decompression of the windows media samples?  Yeah, yeah, I know
the license says don't do it.  Be sneaky.

Of course, I think it just boils down to 'Microsoft has an odd
definition of CD quality".  But I won't know that till hearing the samples.

(also, are those mono or stereo samples? I'd imagine they're stereo,
but if they're not, well, geez :-)

Monty