[vorbis] Patents

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 05:11:46 PST 2000

I suppose it could be possible to patent something and
let the patent expire so that it is registered at the
patent office but not enforcable. No one else could
patent it then.

I get curious about the RLE patent. I heard Someone
has a patent on run length encoding and I wonder how
long they have had it because I remember RLE code
running on a sinclair spectrum in the 80's before the
whole patenting thing, so there is very clear prior
art on this but someone claims to have a patent on
this!?
Does anyone know about this.

love

Freya