[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Tue Dec 12 09:19:55 PST 2000

I understood this from Marshall Eubanks note, just recently,
where he said:

> <I said this before>
> The best defense is a good offense : to have openly licensed Vorbis
> patents in place.
> </I said this before>
>

>                                    Regards
>                                    Marshall Eubanks

Am I misunderstanding.... ??

It seems GOOD to me, that Vorbis patent their technology, and then
openly license it.

Sorry if I misunderstood Marshall's note....

I thought this meant that patents were "in fact" in place.. but perhaps
not, perhaps Marshal is just expressing his opinion.. ??

..either way, I agree with it.. best to have patents, than not to have
patents.. they keep other people from hassling you.. like Marshall
says.. "best defense"...  Vorbis, if they hold patents, can license it
freely, or even mandate GPL compliance etc..