[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 12 08:39:15 PST 2000

Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:

> Some. But, for instance, it is using joint-stereo which is on the patent
> list at mp3licensing.com, so they could sue MP+, but this format is
> rather limited, so they probably don't see it as a threat.

No more limited than Vorbis, at least for the moment.  MP+ is a little
further along the road to getting as good as it is going to.  Vorbis has
a lot of optimization that still needs to be done.  I know a lot of
people who are hanging back and using MP+ now with the hopes of
switching to OGG later.  For right now, I would expect that MP+ has
proliferated the net a good bit more, however, I expect that to change
in short order.

Also, I have heard AAC described as many things, but I've NEVER heard it
described as a vector quantitization encoder.  Are you sure about that?
And even if it does, that isn't necessarily mean that the TwinVQ part of
the code is under patent dispute.

Steven