[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Tue Dec 12 05:51:51 PST 2000

I give it a year..  but maybe not..  seems like they would wait
until it released at least.. ;-)

Thompson (who FhG brought in to collect the fees) has
plenty of time.

The courts will probably be full of this for years.

But that is precisely what corp. sponsors are for as far as
I would understand it..  The IP issues are NOT going away.
That's what it is ALL about.

I was glad to hear that Vorbis has already applied for.. (gotten?)
patents on their technology (in multiple countries?).

Assuming "the papers" are in order, Thompson doesn't have
a case... it is not that much to fight, and well worth it given the
revenues at stake.

I do not, in any way, think that "threats of legal attack" is a reason
to not look for sponsors.. I think it is PRECISELY
the reason you MUST seek some heavyweights..
iCast  was a startup.. There are already established corps
out there that do have weight, that stand to save much money
"if you are successful".

I think the bigger problem is that Vorbis doesn't save a corporation
money if, for market reasons, they must support MP3 anyway.. and
this is the case for many.  Most large corporations dealing with
this type of technology MUST support MP3, since it is already
so popular....  they have no option..  the question is not either/or,
they WILL pay Thompson  (or litigate perhaps).

The fact is, if you read the licensing terms, Thompson charges
less... (1/2 price!!!) if one makes MP3 the "default setting" for an
encoder.....  Soooo companies who MUST support MP3 are
also VERY incentivized to make it the default... it is a
vicious circle... arrrrggggg!

To companies who must support MP3,
Vorbis is mostly "yet another thing to do..."

Game companies were one category mentioned..
since they choose one format. ..I'm sure there are others.
IMHO, in the future there will be a number.

..there is certainly room in the world for
    a royalty free codec.... ;-)

Tom