[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Angus Griffin angus at theBASS.net
Mon Dec 11 15:32:27 PST 2000

I am genuinely scared by any laws allowing people to hold patents on
mathematical processes. Think of Einstein, he worked in the bloody Swiss
patent office and didn't care less for patenting any of his maths (unless
I'm very much mistaken, which is possible!).

These people are not trying to patent things they have created. To me, it'd
be similar to, for instance, HP trying to patent a multiplication operation
just because their processors use it. Or, Intel patenting XOR just because
it's fundamental part of their processors. I can understand someone
patenting architecture and process, but not underlying principals. Not even
Intel manage to safely patent their arcitecture, look at all the x86-like
processors around.

Not only that, I am pretty happy to assume that any of the mathematical
processes they use were developed many years prior to their implementing
them.

Perhaps I have misunderstood the issue, please correct me of I have!

Angus