[vorbis] some questions: client for ultralinux and streaming

BONNE Kristoff kristoff at belbone.net
Tue Aug 22 03:37:44 PDT 2000

Greetings,

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Geoff Shang wrote:
> The XMMS plugin as well as the console-mode tools already refferred to are
> in the vorbis CVS.

Well, I was able to compile the xmms plugin (I needed to add '#include
"gtk/gtk.h"' in-front of '#include "xmms/plugin.h"' to get it to compile),
but the plugin does not seams to work.
Either I just get a lot of noise or 'xmms' core-dumps when playing one of
the .ogg file from the vorbis website.

The 'cmdline' tools do not compile at all.

> For more info visit http://www.vorbis.org.  Freeamp now
> also supports vorbis.  If you want to use the GDK <?> interface, then you
> can get the freeamp 2.1beta5vorbis distribution, either as source or as an
> RPM (see freeamp.org or one of its mirrors).

I've tried freeamp, but I get the same thing as using xmms: core-dump.

BTW. I was able to play the .ogg files (I would on the vorbius
website) using decoder_example, so this proves the are OK.

Decoder_example does burn over 25 % CPU (whereas mpg123 only use 6 %), but
I guess that is due to the fact that these tools are only 'examples' and
-hence- not optimised at all.

> If you want to use any other
> interface, either checkout the CVS (don't download a snapshot, they are
> ancient), or wait till 2.1beta6 is released which, I'm led to believe, will
> be very soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ;-)

In the meanwhile, I'll do some tests encoding on different bitrates and
keeping an eye on the streaming-possibilities.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                      belgacom internet backbone
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff) International Connectivity