[vorbis] Vorbis optimizations...

Pedriana, Paul PPedriana at maxis.com
Fri Aug 11 16:00:32 PDT 2000

I was wondering about what the near and longer term future
directions for optimization of Vorbis decompression are.

I am interested in using it as a replacement for MP3. But it
seems at this point (not certain about this) that Vorbis doesn't
really have much optimization implemented yet. By this I
mean, for example, implementing something like MMX x86
optimzations in order to speed up the decompression.

At this point, rough guestimates suggest that Vorbis uses
up about 2x the CPU cycles on a PC to decompress relative
to MP3.

What are the possibilities and what is the plan? I (we) might
actually be able to contribute to this effort, as we might
stand to benefit from it.

Paul