[vorbis] Re: XMMS plugin license?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Apr 9 16:33:17 PDT 2000

> I'm not exactly sure how to answer this... all I really did was provide
> the framework while Monty did most of the coding work on it.  Any input
> Monty?

Ah, Tony, you're back, good.  I was worried we'd lost you forever to an out of
date email address.

Unless Peter contradicts me, I'd expect the XMMS plugin would be GPL due to the
nature of XMMS itself.  I personally have no problems with the source being
used for whatever.  I want to keep the *libs* under LGPL and the command line
tool once finished under GPL, but the rest of the code could be out in the
public domain for all I care.  Oh, and I certainly don't want the simple act of
reading the GPLed code to taint other projects; if you want to write you own
with the GPLed code as a guide, you should be able to.

Peter: Is there anything in the XMMS licensing that would prevent such a use of
the XMMS Vorbis plugin?

Monty