[Vorbis-dev] Ambiguity regarding granule position

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:12:27 UTC 2023

Hello all,

there is an ambiguity within the Vorbis specification regarding the
granule position of the Ogg encapsulation. I'm referring to section
"A.2. Encapsulation" of the Vorbis I specification, as found here:

https://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html#x1-132000A.2

The specification both says

> The granule position of these first pages containing only headers
> is zero.

and also

> A page that is entirely spanned by a single packet (that completes on
> a subsequent page) has no granule position, and the granule position
> is set to ’-1’.

So, the granule position of a page that is entirely spanned by a single
HEADER packet is not well defined. It may either be zero or -1 according
to the specification. Please consider to clarify this.

Thank you very much!

With best regards
Mathias Kunter