[Vorbis-dev] vorbis quality - quality scale vs bitrate

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 00:00:52 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I'm using libvorbis in my program and need to encode to target bitrate. I
know libvorbis prefer to use quality scale but I can't use it.

I've found something at faq  http://vorbis.com/faq/#quality

*For now, quality 0 is roughly equivalent to 64kbps average, 5 is roughly
160kbps, and 10 gives about 400kbps. Most people seeking
very-near-CD-quality audio encode at a quality of 5 or, for lossless stereo
coupling, 6. The default setting is quality 3, which at approximately
110kbps gives a smaller filesize and significantly better fidelity than
.mp3 compression at 128kbps.*

so 0 == 64kbps
    3 == 110kbps
    5 == 160kbps
    10 == 400kbps

Could anyone give me a complete mapping from quality to bitrate ?

Great thanks