[Vorbis-dev] A few questions about libvorbis from a newbie

Blake Martin blakemartin.official at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 00:42:39 PST 2015

Okay, I understand how the number of samples varies and is calculated now.
I still do not understand, however, how a number of samples with no defined
size is translated into 8, 16, or 32 bit values in my buffer or how
channels relate to the pcm total. Specifically, does the pcm total only
account for one channel? How are channels represented in the file?

Also, Is ov_read generating different amounts of data based on the *word*
parameter? I can't think of any other reason why my calculation for a
reasonable uncompressed buffer size is ov_pcm_total * numChannels * (the
word size I pass to ov_read).

Thanks in advance,
Blake