[Vorbis-dev] Seeking in WebM

Brendan Bolles brendan at fnordware.com
Thu Sep 19 09:23:00 PDT 2013

On Sep 15, 2013, at 11:10 PM, Gunter Königsmann wrote:

> I don't know much about matroska but if it is as good as I assume and the documentation half-ways matches it's quality there is a chance that it will expand to the sync mechanisms that keep audio and video in sync even if the video framerate and the runtime of the audio packets are allowed to vary.

I think the answer is that formats like Matroska aren't really meant for editing, but just for playback.  The time stamps don't correspond exactly to the number of samples, but you will only be off by a fraction of a frame, which is totally undetectable.  It is a problem for editing though because you can get discontinuous samples which can result in little pops.

I think I have to go through and count samples myself when I open the file.  It looks like Vorbis has a way to do this without going through the full decompression process.

Brendan