[Vorbis-dev] Help understand decoding of stereo vorbis data

Adam Bradley adam.bradley at jagex.com
Wed Jul 17 17:32:33 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a vorbis decoder, and am having some trouble getting it to work with stereo vorbis data.

It's giving me some PCM output which is roughly right, but it has artefacts.

I think it's most likely something to do with my handling of floor decode/curve synthesis. My first thoughts are that I'm handling the submap number/floor mapping incorrectly;

I'm interested in finding out about this from the documentation;
(4.3.2. floor curve decode)
[submap_number] = element [i] of vector [vorbis_mapping_mux]
What happens if during mapping decoding vorbis_mapping_mux is empty because vorbis_mapping_submaps was 1? Do both channels use the single submap in this case?

Also, I'm noticing that in this same situation, I'm getting a vorbis_floor_count of 2. What's the purpose of the second floor in this case, if both channels are referencing the first floor?

Thanks,

Adam Bradley
Audio Systems Developer
Jagex Games Studio

--

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The sender does not guarantee that this message, including any attachment, is secure or virus free. Also, it is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose or copy it or its contents. Please telephone or email the sender and delete the message entirely from your system. No binding obligations or payment commitments are to be derived from the contents of this email unless and until a clear written agreement containing all the necessary terms and conditions is properly executed.

Jagex Limited is a company registered in England & Wales with company number 03982706 and a registered office at St John's Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK.