[Vorbis-dev] Feedback about Vorbis Comment Chapter Extension

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Fri Sep 21 18:45:06 PDT 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Martin Leese wrote:

>> (I do have to ask, why "-->"?  That's an awfully clumsy token.)
>
> To match WebVTT

Oh...an srt legacy.  I should have seen it.

That makes me wonder about the VLC position on WebVTT, particularly "only
nested cues" files
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/#webvtt-file-using-only-nested-cues).  If
they've embraced that, then they're in no position to complain, apart from
the fact that the chapter extension spec. needs to be fleshed out a bit.
After all, reformatting the comments for a WebVTT parser is trivial.

In fact, one of the criticisms was entirely spurious anyway.  The one
about "infinite trees" applies to WebVTT, but not to the chapter
extension.