[Vorbis-dev] Feedback about Vorbis Comment Chapter Extension

Georg Holzmann grh at mur.at
Thu Sep 20 02:02:07 PDT 2012

Hallo!

>> I don't remember why we gave chapters start and end time, but I have
>> no problem with dropping the end time if that makes it implementable.
>
> The ranges are kind of a nuisance, but probably not a deal killer,
> provided clear rules for their interpretation and use are given.  I don't
> think they're necessary, however, and getting rid of them would eliminate
> the "hole" problem.

IMHO that would be the best solution.
I have never seen a very complex usecase with hierachical chapters etc.
in real world.

> Also, I'd like to see the "CHAPTER" prefix replaced with something a
> little more idiosyncratic.  If nothing else, it would allow some leeway
> to develop a more flexible syntax.

I don't care what the prefix ist, the nice thing about "CHAPTER" is,
that it's the same as in matroska ...

> Ultimately, I think there should be two specifications.  One for a simple
> table-of-contents that anyone can implement, and another for detailed
> nonlinear indices.  The currently proposed specification doesn't seem to
> know which of the two it's attempting to describe.

Agreed.
But maybe it's better to use e.g. WebVTT for such complex use-cases?

LG
Georg

auphonic - automatic audio post production
http://auphonic.com
audio development, machine learning, open source and more