[Vorbis-dev] Feedback about Vorbis Comment Chapter Extension

Georg Holzmann grh at mur.at
Tue Sep 18 08:20:16 PDT 2012

Hallo again!

Some month ago we discussed about the Vorbis Comment Chapter Extension:
http://wiki.xiph.org/Chapter_Extension

I got some critics about this specification, especially from the VLC
developers:
see https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/6895

Some parts of it:
<cite>
This specification allows holes between chapters and allows overlapping
chapters... And does not explain what to do in those cases.

This specification allows hierarchical chapters without defining correct
titles (DVD/BD) or editions (MKV).
</cite>

Also in the VLC forum
(http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103971):
<cite>
This specification is too stupid for us to implement.
For example, it allows overlapping chapters... Or parts without chapters.
It allows infinite tree of chapters, etc...
</cite>

I have to say that I can understand the critics, the specification is
much too complex. And it's sad that this should be the reason, why
nobody wants to implement it ...
Especially because the new Opus format could use the Chapter Extension
too, which would be really great for podcasts etc.!

Maybe it's possible to adapt the specification (so far no player
supports it)?
At the beginning, I proposed the same format as in matroska:
http://savvyadmin.com/adding-chapters-to-videos-using-mkv-containers/
This would be much simpler, easier to implement and consistent.

At least we should discuss with VLC and other developers, otherwise this
specification is useless ...

Thanks for the attention!
LG
Georg

--
auphonic - automatic audio post production
http://auphonic.com