[Vorbis-dev] Enhanced Podcasts with Ogg Vorbis (Chapter Marks)

Georg Holzmann grh at mur.at
Fri Jan 13 08:56:06 PST 2012

Hallo!

First thanks for the answers!

> I would think using chapters in MKA, using the Vorbis tags you suggested:
>
>> E.g. add to the vorbis comments:
>>    CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
>>    CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter 01
>>    CHAPTER02=00:05:00.000
>>    CHAPTER02NAME=Chapter 02
>
> ...or using chained Ogg files all count as clean solutions.  As you've
> noticed, the only one of the above examples to have much player
> support is the Vorbis option, and all of them will currently ignore
> the chapter information, at least the file will play and it's not a
> stretch to add the chapter capability to players that want to do so.
> It's very much a 'currently most pragmatic' solution.

If I understand you correctly, you suggest adding chapter information by
using Vorbis Comments Metadata - this is also my favorite solution
(because of the best player support).

Would it be possible to add a recommendation for chapter marks on a xiph
page (e.g. at [1], [2] or similar) ?
Then it should be much easier to ask players for support ...

My suggestion would be:

CHAPTER MARKS

Chapter marks allow you to navigate through chapters while listening to
podcasts (enhanced podcasts), audiobooks and other long audio files.

This format consists of pairs of comment fields that start with
'CHAPTERxx=' and 'CHAPTERxxNAME=' respectively. The first one contains
the start timecode (hh:mm:ss.mmm) while the second one contains the title.

Here's an example:
   CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
   CHAPTER01NAME=Intro
   CHAPTER02=00:02:30.000
   CHAPTER02NAME=Baby prepares to rock
   CHAPTER03=00:02:42.300
   CHAPTER03NAME=Baby rocks the house

The same format is used as input by mkvmerge ('simple chapter format',
see [3]) and by ogmmerge [4] (input for ogmmerge [5], output of dvdxchap
[6]).

Thanks for any feedback and have a nice weekend!
LG
Georg

[1]: http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment
[2]: http://wiki.xiph.org/Field_names
[3]:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge.html#mkvmerge.chapters
[4]: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools
[5]: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/ogmmerge.1.html
[6]: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/dvdxchap.1.html

--
auphonic - automatic podcast post production
http://auphonic.com