[Vorbis-dev] Enhanced Podcasts with Ogg Vorbis (Chapter Marks)

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jan 13 02:12:54 PST 2012

Overall, it's a nice summary and I don't have much to add to it.  What
it all boils down to is 'whatever you do, players don't support it...
and it will be quite a lot of work to convince them to do so."

I would think using chapters in MKA, using the Vorbis tags you suggested:

> E.g. add to the vorbis comments:
>   CHAPTER01=00:00:00.000
>   CHAPTER01NAME=Chapter 01
>   CHAPTER02=00:05:00.000
>   CHAPTER02NAME=Chapter 02

...or using chained Ogg files all count as clean solutions.  As you've
noticed, the only one of the above examples to have much player
support is the Vorbis option, and all of them will currently ignore
the chapter information, at least the file will play and it's not a
stretch to add the chapter capability to players that want to do so.
It's very much a 'currently most pragmatic' solution.

> Is it possible to use WebM instead of Matroska as a container?
> AFAIK there is unfortunately no chapter support in WebM (although they
> build on Matroska) ...

Correct, as far as I know.

> - Using OGG:
>
> According to wikipedia, OGG is able to add chapters (see the comparison
> table in [7]).
> Am I missing something here? Because this would be really nice!

It was intended to do this via chaining, which virtually no players
chose to support :-|

Monty