[Vorbis-dev] Need for help about using vorbis in embedded system

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Tue Feb 28 16:07:06 PST 2012

On 28 February 2012 15:47, Mashal al-shboul <shboul8989 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need to compress audio samples captured by wireless sensor node (16-bit
> PCM at 8Khz). can i use vorbis i such an embedded system environment that
> has the following HW/SW specifications:
>
> -416 MHz Microprocessor(ARM architecture, Intel Xscale family)

Yes, the reference encoder should work in realtime on a system like
that. Note that's it's not especially well-tuned for 8 kHz audio; most
people use it at 48 or 44.1 kHz. It will work though.

You might also be interested in the new Opus codec we're developing.
It's somewhat higher complexity, but offers superiour compression and
the reference implementation includes a fixed-point encoder, which may
make up for the complexity difference on XScale.
http://opus-codec.org/

Cheers,
 -r