[Vorbis-dev] Multi-channel labels in Vorbis comments

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Thu Nov 17 03:12:34 PST 2011

Hi ogg.k,

> What Conrad meant is that you can include more than one single Vorbis
> stream in a single Ogg stream (most often seen whem you have a video
> with English audio, German audio, etc).
> Each such stream may be mono, stereo, or more, and you can have any
> reasonable number of Vorbis streams in there.
> So you end up with a single file, which you can easily preview in,
> say, VLC, by choosing the track you want from the audio menu. No need
> for an extra step such as tar.

That's something we hadn't thought of, it's a much better idea than
defining a new format. Thanks for the clue :-)

> The advantage is that remuxing tools already know of such a step (eg,
> the oggz tools).

So each stereo Vorbis stream within the Ogg container could have a
comment such as:

STEM=Bass

Is that right? This would fix the problem of displaying mono labels
(such as Bass L and Bass R) in an application which plays stereo stems.

Cheers!

Daniel