[Vorbis-dev] Multi-channel labels in Vorbis comments

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Thu Nov 17 02:43:45 PST 2011

Hi Conrad,

> Rather than a single multi-channel Vorbis file, you could also use a
> file with multiple Ogg tracks, each containing a stereo Vorbis stream.

We did look at that, possibly using tar to wrap up four stereo Vorbis
files into a single package. That should reduce overall filesize,
because we'd be able to take advantage of stereo coupling. Thinking of
something like a bassline, that probably has very little stereo
information.

It would mean defining a completely new file format, unless we were to
adopt something like the Ardour format, with timeline offsets for each
stem defined in an XML file. That might be overkill for a DJ application
though, and it wouldn't be backwards compatible because an Ardour
project can have any number of channels.

We'd be very interested to hear other thoughts on this, especially from
anyone who's tried their hand at DJ'ing.

Cheers!

Daniel