[Vorbis-dev] Tuning Vorbis for Low Freq

jazminstewart at usa.com jazminstewart at usa.com
Wed Feb 17 03:00:09 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: xiphmont at xiph.org
To: jazminstewart at usa.com
Cc: vorbis-dev at xiph.org
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2010 4:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Vorbis-dev] Tuning Vorbis for Low Freq

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:14 AM,  <jazminstewart at usa.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've tried vorbis on a stream that has ~500Hz tops and it worked quite
> good, but the raw data was converted to a fake 16bit 44Khz WAV

'fake'?

Vorbis will accept PCM data at failry low sampling rates.  I think
down to around 4kHz has been tested.  Frequencies that aren't present
won't be encoded and won't waste space.

> Are there any chances I can take the code and tune it to work with nonPCM
> data that has info from about 5 up to 500Hz?

what do you mean by 'non PCM'?  PCM data is an encoding requirement.

Monty

Monty, it isn't "fake" the wav is real, but the input data is a signal in 32bit Floating Point values (each sample is a value itself not a PCM encoded value),
I've scaled down to a signed 16bit. Imported as RAW with Audacity, saved as WAV, and then also saved as OGG.

Then I've opened both the WAV and OGG and compared them. The ogg looks just like the WAV (visually).

But I thought I might be able to tune it a bit to be more focused on low freqs.

Thanks.