[Vorbis-dev] any optimizations possible in OGG or vorbis to reduce time?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Sep 8 13:07:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Sumit Chatterjee<getsumit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gregory,
>     Very informative explanation. According to your figures, my processor
> stands nowhere close :(
>      I have 2Ghz core2, but the time to encode 600-700ms data takes around
> 100ms and mostly more.
>      Ofcourse the compilation has been improved to time based optimization.
> i.e. O2

It requires 100ms because the encoder needs to wait for roughly 100ms
of audio before it can even begin working.  The vorbis encoder
requires a long look-ahead and is not designed for low-latency work.
The encoder is not busy, it is waiting for enough input to proceed;
the output will always lag the input by about 100ms.

If you need lower latency, you will need to use a codec designed for
low-latency operation such as CELT.

Monty