[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics

Richard Furse rf015d9821 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 05:09:53 PDT 2009

Hi there - we've not discussed Ambisonics here for a while and I was
wondering what the appetite is like to get stuff done.

A fair bit of discussion has happened around the place (e.g. on the sursound
list and beyond) on exactly what encoding (i.e. channel interpretations)
should be used for Ambisonics, resulting in a number of new proposals, some
of which have been or are being written up as relatively formal documents.
There are also existing standards (e.g. in WAVE-EX and Ogg-PCM) and some
folk are getting together in June to discuss things further. I have views on
this, but I don't really want to start a format war off here right now ;-)

How would we actually go about sorting out some decent Ambisonic support for
Vorbis? Are there folk here ready and enthusiastic to get into the
development work? If so, do they have a clear idea of what might be needed?
If not, I should be able to make myself available to help code this up,
though I probably wouldn't have time to come up with a good fast solution to
the core multichannel compression problem. However, I've looked at this
before and can probably help.

Thoughts appreciated,

--Richard