[Vorbis-dev] Again: Next libvorbis release?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Mar 4 10:28:05 PST 2009

Just to stress that point (Michael's email indicates I was not clear
enough):

I have submitted a patch <https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1523> which
fixes the docbook build issue for me, and should work on most system,
at least on enough to build a PDF & HTML version of the docs and make
a release. This is meant as a short-term solution. If you guys want to
revise your docbook build chain or move to another format, that's all
fine (and I might try to help with it, too). But my impression is that
unblocking the whole release process which currently seems to be
completely wedged should be of higher priority...

If you use fink, it should be sufficient to install these packages to
compile the docbook docs (with my patch from above applied):
   fop, docbook-xsl, docbook-dtd.

I am not using Macports, but there it should be:
    fop, docbook-xs, docbook-xmll

Debian:
   fop, docbook-xsl

Well, tell me your system, and I'll try to find out which packages you
need to install (but obviously "fop" and "docbook-xsl" seem to be good
candidates ;).

One drawback: You won't get formulas nicely rendered with LaTeX. Of
course, one option would be to switch the whole docs to LaTeX, a more
permanent solution. Quite easy to get both great PDFs and HTML from
this, and very good if you want lots of formulas. Also, pseudo-code
can be typeset very nicely in this.

If using LaTeX is an option for you at all (I am not sure whether any
of you are familiar with it; me, being a mathematician, I use it
daily ;). I could whip up a brief example with a couple pages of the
current specs converted to LaTeX, plus the resulting PDF & HTML
output. And I could convert the whole docs to this format during the
weekend.

Bye,
Max