[Vorbis-dev] Again: Next libvorbis release?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Mar 4 07:36:45 PST 2009

Hi there,

I maintain the libvorbis, libogg and vorbis-tool package for Fink <http://finkproject.org/
 >. Recently I had time to wonder about those again. In particular,
since I was informed libsndfile self-tests fails with 1.2.0, but not
with a version dubbed 1.2.1rc1 somebody sent me. Also trunk seems to
contain security fixes.
In https://trac.xiph.org/browser/trunk/vorbis/CHANGES both 1.2.1 and
1.2.2 are mentioned as "unreleased" versions. As far as I can tell.
The last release was about 20 months ago.

First a disclaimer: I like Ogg Vorbis very much, and I know just much
freaking work managing a project like this is, and esp. making
releases. I know because i have acted/still act as release monkey
project lead for various projects, including the Fink package manager
for OS X (which has a libvorbis package I maintain), as well as the
ScummVM project (which lets you play old adventure games on new
computers), which uses libvorbis (with code I wrote ;-). That said,
the following is not meant to attack anybody responsible for releases.
Rather, it is meant as a honest inquiry, and a honest offer to help.

So, here's my question: When is the next libvorbis release? What is
blocking it? Any way I can help?

Yes I know: Early last february, there was a thread on this list on
this very subject. But apparently it quickly deteriorated in a
discussion on how to build the docs, doxygen in general, etc.. It was
considered to switch away from Doxygen. Now, that's of course fine,
whatever you like. But wouldn't it make most sense to first make new
1.2.x release, and worry about a deep change like that afterwards?
Esp. since waiting for people who promise to convert it to any given
format simply can take vary long.

So, how about finding a temporary workaround for the doc issue, making
a release, then finding a long-term solution. (Oh, and maybe some of
the nice bug fixes in the track queue could be applied for the release
after that then ;-).

Here is how I was able to build the current docbook docs: I used fop
instead of pdfxmltex and had to replace some PNGs (they were causing
fop to error out, very weird). It still gives some strange errors
about missing SVG support, but the generated PDF seems to be OK. I
submitted my patch to Trac <https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1523>.

Of course you need fop installed for this to work, but I think there
are packages for this in most distros.

Cheers,
Max