[Vorbis-dev] Tidy up of XiphWiki VorbisComment page

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jul 9 23:30:29 PDT 2009

> I am sane, but do not use VorbisComments
> *at all*.  I therefore cannot do an update
> without guidance.

Perfect!  You're hired.  Oh, you've already been working here for years?  Good!

j/k

> Er ... I thought official Xiph policy on cover art
> was to use the METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE
> tag, visit:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Cover_art

That's what we decided, yes, but it still worries me mainly because we
don't have a Tremor that can skip these.  Not yet.  It's been on my
todo list but requires squashing the Ogg and Vorbisfile layers
together (at least for header parsing) and making something
monolithic.

> It seems to have been tested with many
> software and hardware players (with only a
> couple of problems), visit:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisComment#Playback_tests

That I didn't know.  I'll have to go look at the tests.

> Maybe I am reading too much into the
> presence of something on a page in the
> XiphWiki.  I read this as official Xiph policy.
> Otherwise why have a page on display?

I'm used to the wiki being a combination informative /
proposal-in-progress presentation mechanism.  Something less formal
than the authoritative references.  I could be behind the curve on
this one.  (For one thing 'anyone can edit it! and 'authoritative'
don't quite go together)

Monty