[Vorbis-dev] Why Docbook and XML in the first place ??

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 01:50:28 PST 2009

DocBook also allows you to publish to crazy formats like Microsoft
HTML Help, and I expect Apple Help as well, if one were to try.

What's really the most important about DocBook though is that the
markup is semantic and structural.  That makes it really easy to
generate things like indices, tables of contents and bibliographies.
That would be much more difficult if you started with HTML.

While print-specific CSS stylesheets can improve the quality of web
page hardcopies, there's no way they would ever match the quality of a
PDF generated by DocBook.  Consider, for example, being able to buy
dead-tree editions from http://www.lulu.com/

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   I'm looking for a job in Silicon Valley:
     http://www.goingware.com/resume/cover-letter.html