[Vorbis-dev] VQ and Huffman codebooks creation

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Aug 16 11:10:22 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Jesús Díaz
Vico<jesus.diaz.vico at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose the VQ codebooks are created with some function within the
> vq folder, but I don't find any reference to them within encoder_example.

In the libvorbisenc implementation the codebooks are pre-generated
based on training data, and a set are selected based on the quality
setting.

There are a number of untilities in the vq folder to help with
codebook generation, but they're not themselves part of the library.
That's why you don't see them called from encoder_example. The actual
books are compiled in from files in the lib/books/ set of folders, and
chosen based on the mode configurations in lib/modes/.

HTH,
 -r