[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics Proposal summary.

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 04:56:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM,  <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Oliver Thuns
> <oli+243897 at ml0815.streaps.org> wrote:
>> Hello Monty,
>>
>> so we could introduce fields for Ambisonics that store the horizontal
>> and vertical order (two Integers)? This would be sufficient to define
>> the channel mapping for the player.
>
> Yes.  The plan from the beginning (though I had not thought it through
> much further) had been to do this by specifying a new header entry
> hooked into mapping 1.  Not the only way to do it, but the way I'd
> envisioned back in 2000.

Please excuse my lack of understanding of the internals of Vorbis, I'm
reading the Vorbis spec on the fly ... so the horizontal and vertical
order could be added to the "Setup Header"?

If the ambisonic decoding will be done by an external 3rd party lib
(for all decodes other than the default stereo decode) ... then that
3rd party lib will need to have access to the contents of those new
headers ... is this possible?

I guess that could be integrated into some API call..... but is this
consistent with how Vorbis wants to do things?

Etienne