[Vorbis-dev] gps tags in vorbis comments

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Sep 29 23:11:34 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM, e deleflie <edeleflie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you putting 'technical data' in the comment headers?

It's not that I didn't want 'technical data' in the comments.  I
didn't want machine-readable-only data, or large blobs of data in the
tags (Subtitles, podcast commentary, War and Peace, etc, belong
elsewhere).  If it makes sense to a human (engineers *are* human),
then it's within the original scope.

Ambisonic data could go in tags, but because it is *also* intended for
machine use, it's worth considering putting it elsewhere int he header
as a dedicated mapping.  The main motivation there would be to avoid
parsing... mishaps.

Similarly, I pushed back a bit at elaborate replaygain tags getting
too overblown because a few useful settings was quickly turning into a
matrix of numbers with various parsing overloadings spread over a
fleet of tags, etc...

Monty