[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics Proposal summary.

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 21:19:22 PDT 2008

Hi all,

My apologies for the confusion ... but I am re-naming this thread
again because the proposal doesn't come from Ambisonia. As the founder
of Ambisonia I have only been 'mediating' between some members of the
ambisonic community ... so it would be wrong to associate the spec
with Ambisonia.

To clarify. This is what the spec proposes:

- that Mapping = 1 means the contents are ambisonic
- that the Vorbis encoder/decoder includes a quality stereo decode of
ambisonic streams (for ambisonic ignorant players)
- some means for players to be able to tell the Vorbis encoder/decoder
whether they want the stereo decode, or the untouched ambisonic
streams
- some help in adapting the present Vorbis Lossless Stereo Coupling to
a multi-channel file with highly correlated channels

And what we would like to clarify is:

- do we have any access to _other_ header metadata which might allow
us to offer a simpler channel map (or are we limited to Mapping = 1?)

Lastly, and optionally:

- we would ideally like to include a "producer's suggestion for best
stereo decode". This would be in the form of angle/azimuth for the 3
axis  ... and would act as a 'hint' for ambisonic aware players to
offer a stereo decode recommended by the producer. (this kind of thing
is really leveraging the power of ambisonics).

We originally thought that this could be done in the comment headers,
but it has been suggested that this would not be an appropriate place
to put this.

regards,
Etienne