[Vorbis-dev] How can I minimize the memory use in Tremor?

隽 徐 china_xujun at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Sep 1 20:38:50 PDT 2008

Hi all,

  I'm porting the Tremor code to an ARM platform. Unfortunately, we didn't use the low mem branch code for CPU performance consideration, and now I find the memory use in it is huge for the embedded system.

  After looking into the code, I found the header parse, especially, the codebook unpack part takes a lot of memory. Tremor decodes the codebooks to a cache to store them for further decode. And this is the dominant factor in decoder memory usage, am I right?

  There are two structures in this code to hold the codebooks, static_codebook and codebook. But in low mem code, there are only one structure -  codebook. It seems static_codebook is redundant, and I wonder if I could replace this part with the low mem code?

  Since I'm not very clear about the codebook structure, so, I'm not sure if this is feasible to reduce the memory usage? Or can someone tell me other methods to minimize the memory use?

  Thanks in advance.

  Susan